Good afternoon fellow Republicans in Montgomery County. During this uncertain time, I wanted to take a moment to make sure you had all of the important updates with our community, public health, our Party, elections, and conventions.
First, at the forefront of many of our minds, is the sad news of the passing of Dr. Wally Wilkerson’s beloved wife, Neddie Jane. Neddie passed away on Wednesday evening, surrounded by her family, after suffering a massive stroke days before. Funeral Arrangements: Because of the current restrictions of no more than a gathering of ten people, there will not be a public funeral for all of us to attend. Please keep Dr. Wilkerson and his family in your prayers as they have suffered a great loss. I’ve spoken with Dr. Wilkerson several times and he is in as good spirits as can be expected, with a steady calm presence we all have come to know from him. If you have a moment, please drop him a note at [email protected].
REPUBLICAN PARTY UPDATES:This current pandemic has affected all aspects of life including our elections and conventions. Below are the current statuses of our Party politics and dates:
- May 26th Primary Runoff Election: The Primary Runoff has been rescheduled for July 14th, with early voting from July 6th – 10th. For more information, the press release from Governor Abbott can be found here: https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-postpones-runoff-primary-election-in-response-to-covid-19
- Municipal Elections: Governor Abbott has suspended provisions of the Texas Election Code to allow political subdivisions to postpone their May 2nd elections. On the matter he said, “I strongly encourage local election officials to take advantage of these waivers and postpone their elections until November”. Already, Mayor Powell has announced the Conroe City races have been moved to the November Election time frame. https://www.facebook.com/toby.powell.92/posts/3477915052222131
- State Convention: The Republican State Convention in Houston is rescheduled for July 13th – 18th in Houston. The General Meeting days are July 16th – 18th. While the hope is that the meeting can proceed normally, there is some uncertainty. As a result, the State Party has established a working group to evaluate a contingency of conducting the convention virtually. To be clear, this is a possible fallback option and comes with a number of challenges.
- Senate District Conventions:
- Senate District 3: Robert Coats is your Convention Chairman. The convention will be rescheduled for a future unknown date. We will be sure to send out the updated information as it comes in. You may reach Mr. Coats at [email protected]
- Senate District 4: Daniel Ure is your Convention Chairman. The convention is currently rescheduled for June 6th at Grace Church in The Woodlands (24400 Interstate Hwy 45). We will be sure to send out updates as they come in. You may reach Mr. Ure at [email protected]
COVID-19 UPDATES:NO SHELTER IN PLACE ORDER FOR TEXAS: Texas Representative Steve Toth has clarified there is NOT going to be an order to shelter in place in Texas. Please help us stop these rumors as they will be devastating to our economy. Here is a video message from Representative Toth refuting the rumor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLlyby-rZ8&feature=youtu.be
MONTGOMERY COUNTY’S COVID-19 STATUSAt the present time, we have 13 confirmed cases in Montgomery County. The Montgomery County Public Health District, Montgomery County Hospital District, and the Montgomery County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management are doing a very thorough job of providing live updates. You can find them on Facebook, or at their websites: https://mcphd-tx.org/https://www.mchd-tx.org/ and https://mctxoem.org/
Public officials are asking everyone to remain calm and at home. That’s the best thing we can do right now. The panic buying and reactions are making this time much more difficult on our community regarding resources and that is affecting our families, neighbors, and first responders from getting much needed supplies.
NATIONAL INFORMATIONHere is a link to FEMA’s responses to ongoing rumors, “The purpose of this FEMA page is to help the public distinguish between rumors and facts regarding the response to coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Rumors can easily circulate within communities during a crisis, stay informed with our updated myth vs. facts related to the federal (COVID-19) response.” https://www.fema.gov/coronavirus-rumor-control
Follow the US Government’s Response:https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/24-hours-all-american-teamwork/
Subscribe to the Whitehouse’s Newsletter: 1600 Daily gives you a behind-the-scenes look at the Trump White House. https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600dailysignup/
Let us remain strong in faith during this unsettling time in our great county we are blessed to call home!