Walter D. Wilkerson, Jr., M.D.,
Chairman of Montgomery County Republican Party
After graduating from high school in Bryan, Texas, and receiving a Bachelor’s Degree in biology from Texas A & M College in 1951, Dr. Wilkerson was awarded his Medical Degree from University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas in 1955. Upon completion of a rotating internship at the Veterans Administration Hospital and Jefferson Davis Hospital in Houston, Texas, he served two years as a general medical officer in the U.S. Navy. He was stationed at Miramar Naval Air Station in San Diego, California, and aboard the USS Hooper Island that participated in an atomic weapons test operation (Hardtack) at Eniwetok Atoll in the southwest Pacific Ocean during the summer of 1958.
From 1958 to 1996, he practiced family medicine at the Sadler Clinic, a multi-specialty group, in Conroe, Texas. During those years he served as an Assistant Clinical Professor of Family Practice with the Baylor College of Medicine and the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. Sharing his experiences and knowledge with medical students was a highlight of his medical career. He served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Doctors Hospital and the Conroe Regional Medical Center from 1984 to 1996. Throughout his years of practice, Dr. Wilkerson was active in the Texas Medical Association, the Texas Academy of Family Physicians, and the American Academy of Family Physicians. in 1971, he became a Charter Diplomate of the American Board of Family Practice. The Texas Academy named him the Texas Family Physician of the Year in 1991 and honored him with the Dr. Sam A. Nixon Leadership Award in 1998.
Dr. Wilkerson has chaired the Montgomery County Republican Party since 1964 and served on the State Republican Executive Committee from 1965 to 1978. He served as a alternate delegate to the 1964 Republican National Convention and as a delegate to the 1968 and 1972 Republican National Conventions. He is active in the Associated Republicans of Texas, an organization begun in the 1980s with the mission of a Republican takeover of the Texas State House, which at the time had no GOP House members. He received ART’s Lifetime Achievement Hats-Off Award for his work. In 2009, he received the Republican Party of Texas’ Visionary Leadership Award for his forty-five years of service as a County Chairman and in 2012, received a Meritorious Service Award from the Texas Republican County Chairs Association.
1989, Governor William P. Clements appointed Dr. Wilkerson to a six-year term as a member of the Board of Directors of the San Jacinto River Authority and in 1995, Governor George W. Bush appointed him to a six-year term as Chairman of the Texas Board of Health (which was absorbed in the Texas Department of Health and Human Services during reorganization in the early 2000s). He for years has served as a member of the Montgomery County Salvation Army Advisory Council and is a former member of the Board of Directors for The Community Clinic that provides free indigent medical care.
He and his wife, Neddie Jane, are members of the First United Methodist Church in Conroe. They are parents of a daughter and a son and have four grandchildren.