The United States Constitution calls for a census to be conducted every ten years. The results of the census determine the number of seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives, and they are used to draw congressional and state legislative districts. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Census Bureau has adjusted 2020 Census operations to protect the health and safety of the public. You can complete your census questionnaire online or by phone. You can learn more at the official website here.
May 26th Primary Runoff Election: The Primary Runoff has been rescheduled for July 14th, with early voting from July 6th – 10th. For more information, the press release from Governor Abbott can be found here.
Municipal Elections: Governor Abbott has suspended provisions of the Texas Election Code to allow political subdivisions to postpone their May 2nd elections. On the matter he said, “I strongly encourage local election officials to take advantage of these waivers and postpone their elections until November”. Most municipal elections have heeded this advice.
State Republican Executive Committee UpdateOn April 4th, the SREC met electronically to discuss three urgent agenda items:
- Amending the SREC bylaws to allow for conducting meetings electronically during a stated emergency.
- Confirming the new dates for the State Convention (described below).
- Change the manner in which national delegates are allocated, which would cause all 44 at-large delegates to go to President Trump.
All three measures passed as proposed. However, in order to be formally adopted, the proposals will be ratified at the next in-person meeting of the SREC.
- Senate District 3: Robert Coats is your Convention Chairman. The convention will be rescheduled for a future unknown date. We will be sure to send out the updated information as it comes in. You may reach Mr. Coats at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senate District 4: Daniel Ure is your Convention Chairman. The convention is currently rescheduled for June 6th at Grace Church in The Woodlands (24400 Interstate Hwy 45). We will be sure to send out updates as they come in. You may reach Mr. Ure at email@example.com.
- State Convention: The Republican State Convention in Houston is rescheduled for July 13th – 18th in Houston. The General Meeting days are July 16th – 18th. While the hope is that the meeting can proceed normally, there is some uncertainty. As a result, the State Party has established a working group to evaluate a contingency of conducting the convention virtually. To be clear, this is a possible fallback option and comes with a number of challenges.